One of my favorite ways to be sure I get my daily serving of vegetables is to make a big pot of vegetarian soup on Sundays to eat for dinner on busy weeknights. I don't follow a recipe, however, all my soups follow the same basic formula.
Simple Steps to Delicious Vegetarian Soups
1. Start with the Basic Veggies - I almost always start with onion, celery and carrot. Chop them and sauté in some olive oil. Add in other veggies if you desire - I often include cauliflower or broccoli if I have them on hand. Use what you have.
2. Add any Specific Veggies - Depending on the flavor profile I want, I may add some specific veggies.
For an Italian soup I will likely add canned or sun dried tomatoes, green bell pepper and zucchini.
For a Mexican soup I will add poblano or jalapeño peppers, canned tomatoes and corn.
For an Indian Soup I will add sweet potato or butternut squash.
3. Once Veggies are Tender add Broth - Boxed vegetable broth or no-chicken broth are great for most soups. If I want a tomato broth for an Italian version, I will add some tomato paste to the broth. If I want to spice up a Mexican version, I may add in some spicy V8 as well.
4. Add Herbs & Spices - The herbs and spices added depend on the flavor profile.
For an Italian soup I will add pesto, rosemary, fresh basil and parley.
For a Mexican soup I use cumin, chili powder and maybe some cayenne.
For an Indian soup I will add curry powder or garam masala, cinnamon and cardamom.
For a Veggie Noodle soup add poultry seasoning and some dried basil.
5. Round it out with Beans, Starch or other Extras - Each soup is made just a little better with a few extra additions to make it hearty and delicious!
For an Italian soup I will add in cannellini beans and fresh greens like spinach or kale.
For a Mexican soup I like to add some black beans and cooked rice.
For an Indian soup I might add lentils or mung beans.
For Veggie Noodle soup I add garbanzo beans and cooked egg noodles.
6. Finishing touches - add a few last minute touches just before serving.
For an Italian soup I garnish the bowls with shaved parmesan and fresh basil.
For a Mexican soup a little sprinkle of cheddar cheese and fresh cilantro make it super tasty.
For an Indian soup I garnish with cilantro and parsley. A small dollop of plain yogurt is also yummy.
For Veggie Noodle soup a little touch of fresh parsley makes it taste fresh and delicious.
Of course, there are several other ways to blend and spice, but these are my simple 'go to' vegetarian soups. I use lots of veggies so they are hearty and filling; and make great weeknight meals.
Give it a try!
Mexican Vegetable Soup - Printable Recipe:
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Amazon offers a cheaper version, in case you aren't quite ready to invest in Le Creuset, but still want a nice looking and heavy duty soup pot. 6 qt https://amzn.to/3WRRJQx